First off, have you noticed I’ve done a little house-keeping on the blog? I have to admit that I’m obsessed with working on the blog and I’m always looking for new ways to spruce it up. I recently had coffee with a friend who taught me a lot about blogging—thanks Courtney! She has an awesome blog about photography so go check it out here. I’m still trying to wrap my head around everything she told me, but baby steps, right?
If you scroll down the page a bit you’ll see that I’ve added something called Social Vibe. Social Vibe is a marketing program that raises money for charities. I chose to support a charity called One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) because in addition to food, I’m also passionate about education—especially education for underprivileged and marginalized populations.
I’m about to finish my master’s degree in Global and International Education and sometime during my studies, I heard about One Laptop Per Child. This non-profit mission is to “empower the world’s poorest children through education” (see more here)—they accomplish this goal by providing children in developing countries with low-cost and low-power laptops that are heavy duty and can withstand environments that are very hot/cold, dusty, sandy, etc. Anyway I think it’s an AWESOME program and wanted to support it here on the blog. By clicking on the link to the right, you can support OLPC for free by completing a few really easy activities. It took me about two minutes to complete the activities.
Moving on, I wanted to provide you with a little weekend wrap-up in case you missed any of the awesome recipes that we posted this week. I’ve also included a list of some of the recipes that I bookmarked this week from other blogs. Enjoy!
A Recap of Mind Your Bees and Trees Recipes:
And now for some recipes that had me saying, “I’ve got to try that!!”
- Coconut Curry Sweet Potato Fries (from Peas and Thank You) I pretty much love anything Mama Pea makes and these sound amazing. I love coconut, curry, and sweet potatoes so I can’t wait to try these.
- Roasted Potatoes with Bacon, Gorgonzola and Cilantro (from How Sweet It Is) My mouth was watering just reading this post. I recently made a potato and blue cheese pizza that we loved and these potatoes remind me of that.
- Creamy Avocado Pasta (from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts) This sounded very intriguing. I love avocados, but I’m not so sure of it as a creamy pasta sauce. Erin said it was amazing though so now I’ve got to try it.
- Car-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies (from Baking Bites) Really?! Have you ever heard of such a thing? It gets HOT HOT HOT here in Okinawa so I’m very tempted to try these. I wonder what all my neighbors will think when I’m baking cookies in my car. (I’ll have to wait until September though when I’m eating sugar again…)
- Crispy Peanut Butter Nutella Bars (from Vittles and Bits) Chocolate and peanut butter has to be one of the best combinations out there, and throw some nutella into the mix? Genius! Unfortunately this is another recipe that is going to have to wait until the not-eating sugar challenge is over…
What are you up to this weekend? I woke up this morning to this….
But instead of being outside and enjoying the beach, I am stuck inside with this…
I’ve been working so long now that the tide has gone way out.
I decided that someone should get to enjoy the weather so Harold got to go outside for a bit, but he has to be closely monitored since the running away incident. Luckily he just hides in the corner.
I’m definitely going to take a break later to bake a special treat….stay tuned for that recipe this week!
Question: What is your favorite thing to do on the weekends? Do you like to relax or get outside and be active?